Allan Edwards Ultrasonic Testing (UT)
Don’t Do Repairs Without It
What Is UT?
Our 7-Step UT Process
Steel plate is loaded onto the incoming plate roller.
UT machine automatically feeds the plate into the scanning area.
UT machine detects all edges and aligns the scanning profile so that the plate is perfectly square on the table.
UT machine scans 100% of the plate surface.
If an anomaly is detected, UT machine locates the anomaly, dries the spot, then marks it.
After scanning, the machine automatically moves the plate from the scanning area to the offloading area.
Then the machine will repeat the above steps for the next plate.
Key Benefits of Allan Edwards UT
1. Detects Flaws Invisible to the Naked Eye
- The primary reason UT is used is to catch laminations that are not visible during a cursory visual inspection. Our UT machine catches flaws both on the surface of steel as well as internally with unparalleled accuracy.
2. 10x the Accuracy
- Our assembly contains 64 individual beams that can be swept through a range of refracted angles. These angles can also be programmed to an interference pattern of time delays to focus the sound wave at a specific depth inside the element. In short, this greatly increases the probability of flaw detection.
3. Provides Peace of Mind & Full Transparency
- Our UT process provides you with even greater assurance that the repair sleeves you use are manufactured from the highest-quality steel product.
4. A Custom Report Prepared for You
- All data we gather is 100% available to you. A full UT report is automatically provided with every sleeve order placed.
Why Should It Matter To You?
To answer that question, you must consider this one: How much is quality worth to you?
Regulatory challenges are becoming more stringent than ever as public perceptions of the oil and gas industry become increasingly critical. As the stakes continue to rise, so must our own standards. Consider PHMSA’s Mega Rule, which has imposed new and significant regulations on over 400,000 miles of gas gathering lines. These previously unregulated lines now need highly reliable repair solutions. Because of this, we recognize the importance of diving deeper to safeguard our customers’ future repairs. UT inspection is not a requirement for steel sleeve manufacturing, and most pipeline operators do not require it. However, its numerous benefits make it a worthwhile investment. We know the stakes are high in this life-sustaining industry. That’s why 100% of Allan Edwards steel undergoes 100% UT inspection. Not because we had to – because we wanted to.